Thursday, July 27, 2006

If Nothing Else, There's Always Cheesecake

Something huge is happening at work. I must resist from getting down to details, just because commonsense tells me there must be an informal confidentiality clause somewhere in my informal acceptance of this temporary and informal role. That and there'll be media and ministers in attendance, so I guess mum's the word for now.

Last Friday I was offered the blue pill-red pill option. "You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes".

I could have said, "What? Me? But I've never co-ordinated events before. Oh no no no..." But here I am, still falling down this rabbit-hole, just as Neo, despite his comparably more comfortable existence in the Matrix could not look past Morpheus's sales pitch.

Since then, i hadn't been able to find the brakes. I'm free-falling on the fast lane, and every day since Friday has been go-go-GO. The phones are going off, everybody needs answers to meet someone else's deadline, this morning's decisions are useless by mid-morning, there are meetings with PR agencies, photographers, caterers, staging guys, and that's only been the last four days.

Admittedly, i'm loving the challenge. Sure the hours are a little crazier, I've gone from virtually a desk job to suddenly having early morning solo meetings with impressionable suppliers under the pretence that I absolutely know it all, but for a change i'm being paid to not do my job. And changes...aren't necessarily all bad...

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home